Monday 22 February 2010

Another fun cupcake hunt...







I went to London on Sat to visit my family...and we did what we do best - hunt for cupcakes!
The first stop was CC's cafe in Queen's Park which is just around the corner from where my sister lives. It had a really cool feel inside and I liked the way they baked everything right in front of you. I couldn't find a website for them but you can read a foodie review here. I ordered a chocolate cupcake decorated with an oreo on top. I was really impressed, the cake could have been slightly more moist but the frosting was delicious! It was so chocolately..and was somewhere in between ganache and buttercream! delish. Their selection of cupcakes are limited to vanilla or chocolate but they have lots of other yummy treats on offer like brownies and banana bread too.

After that we headed to the national wedding fair where my sister's company The English Cheesecake Company had a stall. As well as their delicious cheesecakes they had on show a cupcake cheesecake wedding tower!


I was pretty excited about seeing lots of cupcake stalls and trying samples! but it wasn't too fruitful, there were only 2 cupcake stalls there. They didn't have any samples and they wouldn't let me take photos ..boo! but I did find a random stall which was giving away free crumbs and doilies cupcakes which I was pretty excited about! so here I am with a lovely orchid tree and my mini cupcake!


We braved the traffic to make it to the new Hummingbird Bakery on Wardour St.




It was really snazzy inside and the decor was great. I was excited about the cakes because the Hummingbird Bakery was probably the first bakery I ever had a gourmet cupcake at! but that was about 6 years ago and I'm not sure I've had one since! so I had completely forgotten what they tasted like and they're so talked about that I was sure they were going to be amazing. However I ordered a red velvet and Mara had a chocolate malt and we ate half each. The red velvet cake was nice but the frosting wasn't great at all, it was far too sour and needed more sugar to get the right balance. The choc malt was just far too rich and I couldn't even finish it! so a rather disappointing end to our cupcake hunt. I have to say my CC's cupcake was far superior to the ones I tasted at Hummingbird!

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to check out CC's since someone sent me a message on Twitter about it but its the other side of London - will have to pop in though now you've said they're good :)
    Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Hummingbird - I've yet to have a bad cupcake from them! They're always really fresh and yummy when we've had them!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails