Wednesday 13 May 2015

A Trio of Curds: Pineapple & Coconut, Raspberry and Passionfruit


I've always thought that I wasn't a fan of curd.  I think it stems from when I was growing up and my Dad used to be keen on it...and generally anything that my Dad is keen on I'm not.  He's a fan of piccalilli, brown sauce, fruit cake, pork pies, turkish delight and many many other things that I won't go near! So naturally when he always used to eat lemon curd I decided it probably wasn't something I was going to like! 

That all changed when three years ago I whipped up my first ever batch of curd, but not just any curd - this was key lime curd, and oh man it was one of the yummiest things ever and I suddenly realised I loved curd, and from them on I've been dreaming up as many yummy curds as possible!


One of my fave flavours I have made is pineapple curd! I have made it to fill a layer cake, and also to fill cupcakes.  This time when I made it I added a coconut twist with coconut oil and desiccated coconut, because pineapple and coconut is a match made in heaven and this might be my fave curd to date! 


I have been wanting to make raspberry curd forever, purely because how amazingly vibrant is that colour?! It did not disappoint! It was everything I expected and more! I have dreams of one day pairing this with a coconut scone, how delish would that be! 

To finish off the trio, I whipped up a quick passion fruit curd and then packaged them up in these cute little jars, made these chalkboard top labels and sent them off in a birthday package to a good friend of mine who had only recently discovered curd at my house and loved it so I thought she would enjoy this package of treats! 

If you were able to make one giant batch of curd and then stir in different flavours that would be an easier way of doing things but from most of the recipes I came across it seemed like the fruit had to be infused with the eggs on the heat to get the curd to work, and every recipe I came across for each flavour was slightly different so in the end I just made 3 different recipes.  Curd is really quick to make though, and I had managed to make all 3 batches, and cooled them and packaged them up all before the baby woke up from her nap! so if you've never made any before give it a try! quick and easy, and most of all delicious - you won't be disappointed! 


Pineapple & Coconut Curd:
Makes enough to fill 4x50ml jars
From Cupcake Crazy Gem

1 cup fresh pineapple puree (1/2 sieved and 1/2 lumpy)
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp cornstarch
small pinch of salt
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup desiccated coconut

Blend the pineapple in a food processor.  Add half a cup of the puree into the saucepan.  Sieve the rest so that no lumps are included and it is just the pineapple juice, measure out a half cup of the juice and add it to the saucepan.  If you don't want any lumps you can sieve all the puree but I think the real pineapple chunks add something special to the curd.

Add the egg yolks, cornstarch and salt.  Turn heat onto medium and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens, this happens just as it is about to come to the boil, usually around 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and whisk in the coconut oil until melted.  Stir in the desiccated coconut.  Allow to cool in the pot as it will thicken further.  Put into sterilised jars and store in the fridge, use within a week.

Raspberry Curd:
Makes enough to fill 4x50ml jars

150g fresh raspberries, you can also use frozen
2 small eggs, beaten
zest of 1 lemon
75ml lemon juice
50g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar

Blend the raspberries in a food processor.  Add the raspberries to the beaten eggs and push the mixture through a sieve into a large mixing bowl.  

Add the zest, juice, butter and sugar to a saucepan and gently heat, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved and butter has melted.  Bring to the boil and then remove from the heat.  Slowly add to the raspberry and egg mixture, whisking as you pour it in.  Return the mixture back to the saucepan, and bring back to the boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  

Keep it simmering until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, then remove from the heat and leave it to cool in pot as it will thicken further.  Put into sterilised jars.  As above, store in the fridge and use within a week.

Passionfruit Curd:
Makes enough to fill 4x50ml jars

3 large eggs
60g unsalted butter 
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup passion fruit pulp, about 4 passion fruits

Heat the butter, sugar and passion fruit pulp in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and it reaches boiling point.  Remove from the heat and allow it to cool slightly (about 3 mins).  

Beat the eggs until fluffy in a bowl and very quickly, whisking all the time, add them to the saucepan mixture - you do not want the eggs to curdle.  Place saucepan back on heat, and whisk constantly until the mixture becomes thick.  Allow it to cool in the pot as it will thicken further and pour into sterilised jars and keep in the fridge.  Use within a week.  

Unsure of what to do with your curds? As mentioned before they go great sandwiched between layer cakes, or as a filling for cupcakes.  They are also delicious spread on scones, crumpets, bagels or toast and you can also use them along with cream as a filling for pavlova.  Whipping them into some plain vanilla frosting will also give a delicious fruity and creamy frosting! 

Eat and enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. They are so pretty!! I love the colors and a good curd, I haven't made a successful curd as of yet... mine always turn out a little runny. Perhaps I stop being scared of failing again and try it with some fun flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally with you when it comes to brown sauce and piccalili, but I do love a fruit curd. Have a real thing for the flavour of passion fruit, but the raspberry looks lovely too.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of curd and love to experiment with different flavours.... These sound really exciting! I've had raspberry and passionfruit before, but the coconut and pineapple sounds very tropical. The three jars look beautifully vibrant against each other too! If you haven't tried it before, I recommend a go at rhubarb too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing!! I remember drooling over your pineapple curd post the first time round. I've only ever made passionfruit and lemon curds so definitely need to branch out into pineapple and raspberry.

    I also think you need to make coconut scones and raspberry curd happen! :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails